Thursday, May 24, 2012

Roast Meats at Canton-I

I have eaten at Canton-I, a Malaysian owned Cantonese restaurant at Orchard Ion many times. The first time I blogged about them, I was less than impressed. But revisits had me eating the roast meats. And the char siew is certainly one of the best around.

Oops, let the cat out of the bag right at the start...but in all seriousness, this is a classical Malaysian, KL style char siew...darkly marinaded, roasted crisp, sweet, fat. Glistening.

Truly superb. Ultra fat, but wonderful crisp, burnt crust. Magnificent. Really good char siew.

We also had some roast meat on the side

Very good too. But not my best experience of roasted pork. The skin was super crisp, but I yearn for a little less fat under the crispy skin, and perhaps a bit more flavour on the meat...but this is splitting hairs. This sio bak is superb.

A bowl of succulent wanton in soup...

A full, succulent, fresh, crunchy prawn lurks within each wanton. Very good.

A group of 4 of us shared the above...and each individual had his own noodle dish...I chose the ngau lam mien...beef brisket with noodles.

The sauce is a touch salty, but the tendons are superbly done. Soft, delicate. The noodles are done just right.

I now heartily recommend this restaurant for the traditional roasts, wanton mee, and ngau lam mien. Excellent. A bit pricey, but not unusually or unwarranted for an prime Orchard Road location.

Canton-i Restaurant
2 Orchard Turn
#03-14 ION Orchard
Tel: +65 6509 8368
http://www.canton-i.com.my/
Daily: 11am - 10pm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your blog.

I find Canton I in SG is too expensive compared to the one I tried in Penang.

Have you tried similar char siew style at the famous Kay Lee? Check out my experience!

http://gluttonunited.com/2012/05/kay-lee-roast-meat-joint-%e7%90%aa%e5%88%a9%e7%8f%a0%e6%b1%9f%e7%83%a7%e8%85%8a/

Scenes in Singapore life said...

Anonymous, if you compare with Penang, everything in Singapore is frightfully expensive.

For what it is, in a posh restaurant, in Orchard Road, I think Canton-i is not overly expensive. Even the Food Court in Ion's basement is at least 30-50% more expensive than other Food Republic courts.

I have tried Kay Lee, they used to be very good...but of late I don't know...the recent hoopla and publicity of selling it off for s$3.5m, the queues are forbidding.