Thursday, November 18, 2010

More CKT: Hill Street, now in Bedok

with Eddie



Hill Street CKT...one of the favourites in Singapore. For me, the memory of the old "chef" frying his cKT in his old store in Hill Street...now a park opposite Funan...interesting, the pedestrian bridge is still there, but the hawker center, as they were called those days, is gone.

Anyway, I didn't feel the CKT, even when fried by the old gentleman, see pic above, is better, to my tastebuds, than Outram Park (now in Hong Lim Temp Market). Outram Park remains my favourite.



The wok hei is there, as is the fragrance of the pork lard and the pork lard crisps. But compared to Outram Park, I feel it falls slightly short...the almost there but though not quite magic kind of thingie. In the final analysis, the balance of greasiness, with the flavour of the egg, the bite of the lap cheong (chinese sausage), the tenderness of the kway teow and the mix of KT and mee is just right with Outram when done by the older chef. Its the small things which make a great dish.

So is the Hill Street worth the calories and cholestrol? For me, its a yes. But a bit far to drive from my home. But if I had to rank them, my rank would be Outram Park perhapd with Dong Ji in Old Airport Road, then Yong Huat, then Hill Street. But don't compare with Penang CKT...that's on another galaxy...totally.


Hill Street Fried Kway Teow
Blk 16, Bedok South Road, #01-187
Opened for lunch till about 4pm. Then around 6pm till all he runs out of food.
Closed on Mondays
Mr Ng 90421312

4 comments:

liverpool1965 said...

just tried Hill Street a month ago with Jimmy and Mark..thought could do with a bit more noodles instead kway teow :)...how did you find Hai Kee?

Scenes in Singapore life said...

I used to crave Hai Kee when he was at Margaret Drive...every once in a while...but I feel he is steadily losing the taste...recent tastings seem to indicate to me that his CKT is not so flavourful as it used to be.

Singaporefoodlover said...

My two cent-- i find Kai Kee's a bit sweet, thought the cockles and lard are quite substantial. Now Dong ji is the next char kway teow i am going to try. either that or yong huat:)

liverpool1965 said...

hmmm will give him a try at Telok Blangah...thanks Peter!