Thursday, June 26, 2014

Penang Delights Prawn Noodles

The prawn noodle fascination continues with recommendations from friends. This one by a foodie friend who prefers this over my favourite Wah Kee.


Of course, with recommendation this high, I just had to try it. 

I ordered the speciality Penang Prawn Noodle, they use small prawns, and in a dry noodle


With lots of fried shallots, pork...the whole concoction looks a bit messy. The noodles were nicely cooked...I had the beehoon mee. But the broth were a little too sweet for me. In Penang, the Hokkien Prawn Mee often is cooked with a touch of rock sugar in the broth, but this is way too sweet. This version is the dry version, and they added tomato sauce, something one would NEVER find in Penang. The chilli was also a bit sweetish. The prawns were small, quite sweet and fairly intense in flavour. But overall, this dish does not do it for me. 

We also tried the more regular Singapore style prawn noodle


This goes a bit better with my palate, but the broth was mild, almost tasteless. the prawns were ok, but not exceptional. The broth is similar to the first bowl, a bit too sweet.

A quick look on the blogosphere revealed that it did get good reviews from many respected bloggers, so I guess there is no accounting for taste. And I strike this one as one which, unfortunately the taste does not quite agree with my palate. So no recommendation from me, but do give it a try, it might just be your taste.

Penang Delights



No comments: