Thursday, July 22, 2010

More Feasting in Penang: Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng

Mee Goreng is a simple dish...noodles, oil, egg are the main ingredients. But a masterful chef (and these hawkers are true chefs) can cook up a wonderful dish...full of aroma, beautiful wok hei, excellent tasting and oh, so shiok...with just these ingredients, and a few more.



The Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng is one of the famous Penang hawkers. And adaptation of the Chinese kee mee...yellow egg noodles preserved with boric acid (kee) to give it a characteristic taste. The chef is an Indian fellow, spewing fluent Penang Hokkien, and doing his dance with his well used wok...makes an amazing mee goreng.



My personal favourite was made by a nice Malay gentleman who used to have his stall behind my family home...but he is no more, having passed away peacefully, though his wife continues to run his stall, its not the same.

The Bangkok Lane stall is even more famous...the noodles can be ordered in two styles...dry and wet.

I had mine dry.



Nice and well fried, with a good wok hei. I can taste the kee in the noodles, luxurating in the richness of the egg, and crispy croutons. Very nice, fragrant plate of mee goreng.



The noodles can also be ordered wet...with a dollop of specially prepared gravy unceremoneously dumped on top of the fried noodles. This gives the noodles a bit more richness...as the gravy provides the body, and supplements the flavour. I prefer the dry style.


Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng
270, Jalan Burmah,
Penang, Malaysia.
Telephone : 6016-485 7859
Business hours : 8.00am – 6.30pm.
Closed on Mondays.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been visiting your blog. Going to go to Penang and try some food in September. I know it's probably a bit cheeky but can you recommend where (area/location will do) to stay to be close to some of the places you recommend to eat. I am looking at Trader's hotel. I am from Perth Western Australia, never been to Penang except transit once a long time ago.

Aussie Tourist

Scenes in Singapore life said...

Hi Aussie Tourist...am afraid I don't know the hotels in Penang enough to make a recommendation.

I used to live in Penang, but that was 30 years ago, and now when I visit, I stay at my sister's house.

I hear from my friends that G Hotel in Gurney Drive is good.

Anonymous said...

OK, understand and thanks. I am going do a reconnaissance before taking the family. We been to Spore and KL this month. Thought we try Penang next January and see what all the rave is about.So I will checking out places you blogging about.

Aussie Tourist